Friday, March 20, 2009

2nd Day In London

Well today I got up, showered, ate breakfast, got a map of London & headed for the river. Since I am unfamiliar with the layout of things I thought it best to start there. Along the way to the river I crossed the road at the wrong time & nearly got run over by a big lory or truck or whatever they call them here. I used St Paul's Cathedral & the bridge to the Tate meuseum as my reference points then headed towards London Bridge.

I walked along the river pathway crowded with locals out on their lunch breaks. It was sorta' like Calgary, people were jogging, lounging about etc, except of course the river was bigger, there were way more people, & the way was filled with tons of buildings, cafes, restaurants, boat lauches, & even a castle.

After making it to London Bridge I crossed over to the other shore & ended up visiting the HMS Belfast. The last great big ship in Europe of the 2nd World War. I thought it'd take me an hour & a half at the most to see her but I ended up crawling through her, on her, etc., for way over 3 hours. It was cool. I arrived in the Ops Room as they ran though an audio presentation of a battle with a german vessel. It was done very good & it kinda' felt like I was actually there watching it & hearing it unfold. I then looked at the map done in detail of the battle & it matched up with the presentation. A funny thing happened earlier though when I was in the cafe drinking Fanta. I was watching some video & was at one point sitting very still & some kids from a private school looked into the cafe & when I moved to take a sip of pop it freaked them out. They thought I was part of the exhibit. Later on I had a laugh with their teacher about it whom I'm ran into while onboard.

Anyways I wandered back to the bridge to the Tate meuseum, & then headed for St Paul's & then down the road that leads to the hostel, ate dinner which was beef lasagna, & a garden salad. I am now typing this & wish I was at home or had my laptop on me so I could upload some of my photos. I don't know if I'll venture out tonight, but I should because I am only here until Tuesday & won't be coming back anytime soon. Of course that is was what I said of Lethbridge when I passed through it on the latter end of my last road trip. That poses a big question, could I actually live here & like it ? Probably. There is no doubt some kinda' arts scence here obviously & I don't think it'd take too long to makes some waves poetrywise, actingwise, etc.. Well... I guess that is it for today. I will post my next day on my Wordpress blog.

No comments: